Thursday, April 22, 2010

Make this: Faux Hibachi

Continuing on our budget meal kick, Jake and I ventured into hibachi territory this week. We love the fried rice and teriyaki chicken but at most places you pay for the show (and pay later for the portion sizes and amount of butter). 

My parents are starting my cookbook collection one holiday at the time, stocking my shelves with our family favorites. Our go-to Chinese cookbook is Ken Hom's Chinese Cookery. Our family's fried rice recipe is out of there - my dad recently made it for my brother one night. 


 We used the fried rice recipe and marinated some boneless skinless chicken breasts in a teriyaki marinade for the meal. Easy, cheap recipe below:

 Faux Hibachi:

Fried Rice
You need...
2 cups white rice (pre-cooked and cooled in refrigerator)
2 eggs, beaten
2 ounces prosciutto or thin sliced ham (you could omit)
1/4 cup frozen peas
peanut oil
1 tsp salt

1) dice ham/prosciutto
2) blanch peas for 2 min (5 if fresh), drain
3) heat wok/skillet until hot, add oil (2 tbsp) and wait until almost smoking
4) add cooked chilled rice and stir fry for 1 minute
5) add peas, ham/prosciutto, and salt, continue to stir fry for 5 min over high heat (must constantly stir)
6) add beaten egg, stir fry for 2 min or until eggs have set


serve with your teriyaki chicken pieces that you've cooked on the stove.


We ate out on our back patio and while I was out I got this picture of our yellow iris that is blooming in the back. Another flower that has survived a spring with me! And since I can't resist a Beamer picture, here's one of Beams looking longingly at our food while we eat:






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs