Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Just in case you forgot..

Our kitchen reno has been slated to start for some time. Remember me blogging about it starting in June? We got our appliances. They are lovely. And in our garage. Then July came. We went out of town the whole month (you saw those pictures) and our contractor got us quotes. At which point we almost fainted at the total (we're on a budget here, y'all). 

So here we are. August. Life is crazy. But we're wanting that kitchen. And working towards it. As I've said, the good news about a long planning period is the ideas get worked out. Priorities get made. Bad news? Restless and anxious feelings emerge. 

What are we thinking now? Well, we've got our "list" down. We've kept the major parts we liked, simplified, and re-done some stuff. 

One thing that has happened is that we found out that our flooring company (Kiser, if you were wondering) will not install cork tile flooring due to humidity issues and the tile adhering to the floor. We figured this was a good call and had to decide between our beloved cork and our beloved diagonal alternating color pattern. Well, if you know me you know I get what I want. And I want both. So now our plan is:

1) cork in the den (in planks, which they WILL install and prefer)
2) marmoleum on the diagonal alternating pattern in butter and cream in the kitchen

Here was an inspiration pic I saw from a blog (the photo is from the internet but they don't credit it - I think it is a magazine, as I have seen it before):
Theirs is grey and butter but you get the idea. I think it is quirky and fun, just a bit different. 

We're still going for the black counters, painting our cabinets white, and getting LOTS of light added. We're simplifying the layout, keeping our design we have now but getting rid of half of a wall. We did decide to put in french doors in the den and turn the back door into a window. We actually bought our banquette seating the other day (!!!). 

I'll be selling those modern fixtures I blogged about in July on craigslist. The feel here is modern farm kitchen, with light green walls, white cabinets, and pops of yellow and red. I think I'm back to the black drum shades for my fixtures. 

This has been a big learning process and I can't wait to see the result. Of course, I will share it with you here and if you're lucky enough to be a blog friend and a real friend, you'll be invited to a big "THANK GOD WE"RE DONE" party at the house. 

Until then, looking up recipes for things you can make in a toaster oven:)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs