Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup

I love Carrabba's chicken noodle soup so I went searching online to find a copy-cat recipe and ended up modifying one I found online with suggestions from various commenters. I used this recipe from food.com but I changed it a bit so I'll post it below with my changes. 

I really liked this soup and I'm pretty picky about chicken-noodle soups - the consistency has to be right and the noodles can't be soggy. This was just a little spicy, which is always good in my book. 
 You need:
5 celery ribs
4 medium carrots, peeled
1 large onion
2 medium potatoes, peeled
1 (14 ounce) can whole peeled Italian tomatoes  
1 rotisserie chicken
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 large cans of chicken broth
cajun seasoning
salt and pepper
short pasta
  1. Dice celery, carrots, onion, and potatoes into 1/4-inch pieces.
  2. Chop tomatoes; reserve all juice.
  3. Place vegetables, tomatoes with their juice, chicken pieces, and garlic in a stockpot.
  4. Add water. Season with salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning.
  5. Slowly bring soup to a boil over low heat.
  6. Skim off foam that rises to the surface; may have to skim 2 or 3 times.
  7. Partially cover pot and simmer 2 hours.
  8. Mash vegetables in the bottom of the pot with the back side of a large cooking spoon or a potato masher.
  9. Notes: Soup is best served the day after it is made.
  We used ditalini pasta in it, boiling
it separately and adding it right before serving so it doesn't get soggy. I might add cayenne pepper next time too, to spice it up more. 


This made enough for probably 8 servings, so we'll have soup for a while. Probably will freeze some!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs