Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Exterior: In Progress

I mentioned last summer that I had a severe distaste for the bushes in our front yard:
As you can see from this picture, they are "boxy" boxwoods and had grown quite unruly. Somehow the left side had maintained its short, low boxy-ness and the right side had gotten out of control. The left side of the house was no better - I had attempted to trim these like regular bushes a while back (which I learned you do not do) and the result was this:
I got an itch a few weekends ago when it was so pretty that these "had to go. now." and posted them on craig's list. Fo' Free. You dig, they are yours. I didn't think there would be many takers but my phone was blowing up. In fact, one person texted me at 1AM. People - don't text your craig's list ad numbers at 1AM! Seriously? 


Regardless, these were out of our life less than 24 hours after I posted that ad. This cute couple came from Cordova and dug them out. It took a lot less effort than I had thought it would. They loaded up most of them and then another guy (the 1AM man) took the rest the next day. 


Currently, our house looks something like this out front:
(I thought the instagram vibe fit our house currently -the exterior is stuck in the 70s)


So.. no bushes currently but Friday will change that. I'm thinking a 2-3 ft Azalea row for the left side and a short row of something (maybe more azaleas?) on the right. 


From this picture, you can tell that the bushes had dwarfed our house even more than usual before:
I'm hoping that the shorter, less boxy bushes will help our house seem a little less vertically-challenged. 


Until then, we're looking at this for our decor:


In getting my hands dirty,

post signature

1 comment:

Hilary Dow Ward said...

Oh my gosh, you must be delighted! What a difference it has made. And now...you've got not one but two big beds to plant in! That will be so much fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs